Selected Items[Remove All]

Available Items[Add All]

Student Employment

Student Employment Q&A

How many on campus jobs can a student apply for?

On campus positions are very competitive you should apply to at least 20 or 30 positions. Even then, a position is not guaranteed.

What are the eligibility requirements?

During the academic year student employment is restricted to TCNJ undergraduate students with 2 or more units. Students with Federal Work Study Award have a priority in the application process; but not guaranteed a position. Students interested in the Federal Work Study Program need to contact Student Financial Services.

Student Employment during the summer is open to TCNJ and non-TCNJ students, 16 years of age or older (students under 18 are considered minors and must secure working papers) and recent May graduates.

When can I start applying for positions?

Academic year positions go live beginning August 1 and continue to be listed as needed throughout the year.  Summer Positions start to be listed April 1 and continue to be added as need arises.

Can I earn as much money as I want?

No. Money and hours are determined by departmental budgets

Am I paid an hourly wage, stipend, or a salary?

90% of the positions are paid an hourly rate dependent upon skill sets required.  The minimum hourly rate on campus is $7.25 per hour.  There are several stipend positions.

How will I be paid?

Every two weeks your supervisor submits a time sheet for you to the Payroll Office.  After your first time sheet is submitted, you may have to wait up to 4 weeks for your first check.  Subsequently, you will receive a paycheck every two weeks.  We encourage you to use
Direct Deposit.

Do I have to stop working if I withdraw from school?

Yes.  If you withdraw from school for any reason, you lose your eligibility for student employment and must stop working.

Are student employment earnings taxable?

Yes.  Earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments.

Why do I have to fill out an
I-9 form?

According to federal law, the identity and work eligibility of all student employees must be verified before beginning a work assignment.  You will have to complete and I-9 form and present certain documents to the Career Center staff.  You may not work in an on-campus job until you have filed an
I-9 form with the Career Center.

How do I view my W-2 form?

W-2 is found through the YESS.

What are the benefits of the student employment program?

There are more than 2000 positions with 1700 student working an average academic year.  If you have never had a job, the student employment program can be your first exposure to the world of work.  Campus employers are often willing to give you on-the-job training.

Can I work more than one position?

Yes.  Although you can work in more than 1 position, your total accumulated hours:

    • During the academic year is a maximum of 15 hours per week.
    • During the Summer and breaks the maximum is 40 hours per week.